Re: [ST] Valentine One

original message

>highest price does not equal highest quality. Check out this:
>
>http://www.radartest.com/
>
>Look under Detector Reviews/High-End Tests.
>

>--
>Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler
>A Red Sox fan living in Yankee country

OK, I wasn't gonna get involved in this BUT.............

Since Devil posted the site.  I agree.  I own the Passport 8500, and ride
with several folks with the V-1.  The verdict, talking with my riding
partner via FRS radio and comparing the two units.

1) Passport and V-1 pick up at identical times in X & K bands

2) Passport picks up Ka band (slightly) sooner than V-1

3) Passport picks side and rear signals JUST AS WELL as the V-1, even
though it does not have dedicated sensors.  It picks up the "reflections".

4) The main advanatge of the V-1 is the "directional" readout.  But since I
use the audio via an earplug and cannot see the readout this is a moot point
(with me). But could be a major advantage if you mount the unit for visual
use (always use audio as well on a bike tho!!!!!)

My personal conclusion:  Both are fine units, I did not see the "Major
Superior" advantage in the Passport over the V-1 that the above website
reported, only a very slight one in Ka only. (example; on fairly straight
Interstate I would pick up Ka about 1 second before the V-1).

The Passport is about $100.00 less expensive.

One odd note.  I have had about 3 or 4 "False"  LASER, yes laser, signals.
Always way out in the country, usually around a farm or ranch.  Anyone
experienced this, do some ranchers use lasers on their spreads?  Very odd,
and scared the bejeezus out of me. I have never encountered actual Laser on
the road.

"UnderDawg"
STeve
Dallas, Tx