Re: [ST] Parking lot blues...

>Andrew, Kevin......no, no,  You must follow the Fjords they are much
>safer, and more peacful....no explosions.
>
>STeve
>"UnderDawg"

or better yet I quote

""``Your heart will remain calm. Your adrenalin gland will remain calm.
Calm, all-over calm. You will not panic. you will look at the fnord and see
the it. You will not evade it or black it out. you will stay calm and face
it.'' And further back, way back: my first-grade teacher writing FNORD on
the blackboard, while a wheel with a spiral design turned and turned on his
desk, turned and turned, and his voice droned on, IF YOU DON'T SEE THE
FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .

I looked back at the paper and still saw the fnords. This was one step
beyond Pavlov, I realized. The first conditioned reflex was to experience
the panic reaction (the activation syndrome, it's technically called)
whenever encountering the word ``fnord.'' The second conditioned reflex was
to black out what happened, including the word itself, and just to feel a
general low-grade emergency without knowing why. And the third step, of
course, was to attribute this anxiety to the news stories, which were bad
enough in themselves anyway. Of course, the essence of control is fear. The
fnords produced a whole population walking around in chronic low-grade
emergency, tormented by ulcers, dizzy spells, nightmares, heart
palpitations and all the other symptoms of too much adrenalin. All my
left-wing arrogance and contempt for my countrymen melted, and I felt a
genuine pity. No wonder the poor bastards believe anything they're told,
walk through pollution and overcrowding without complaining, watch their
son hauled off to endless wars and butchered, never protest, never fight
back, never show much happiness or eroticism or curiosity or normal human
emotion, live with perpetual tunnel vision, walk past a slum without seeing
either the human misery it contains or the potential threat it poses to
their security . . .

Then I got a hunch, and turned quickly to the advertisements. it was as I
expected: no fnords. That was part of the gimmick, too: only in
consumption, endless consumption, could they escape the amorphous threat of
the invisible fnords. I kept thinking about it on my way to the office. If
I pointed out a fnord to somebody who hadn't been deconditioned, as Hagbard
deconditioned me, what would he or she say? They'd probably read the word
before or after it. ``No this word,'' I'd say. And they would again read an
adjacent word. But would their panic level rise as the threat came closer
to consciousness? I preferred not to try the experiment; it might have
ended with a psychotic fugue in the subject. The conditioning, after all,
went back to grade school. No wonder we all hate those teachers so much: we
have a dim, masked memory of what they've done to us in converting us into
good and faithful servants for the Illuminati.

Andrew Bell, Test Technician
Mixed Signals/ULTECH

e-mail: abell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: (203) 758-8667