Re: [ST] Orange County Triumph

I recently (past couple of weeks) bought a new '99 ST from a dealer whose
advice was to "follow the sticker the first 100 mi. and then ride it like
you stole it".

Wasn't completely comfortable with that advice but, being used to doing
quick break-ins on race motors, didn't see where it would be far off - given
some extra attention to putting 5 or 6 heat cycles into the motor.

So I followed the 100 mi/3500 RPM restriction, then spent a day putting some
heat cycles into it and then essentially forgot about it. First service
showed everything okay. and now, 1k mi. later no evidence of anything
wrong - at least with the motor (the fuel gauge being another matter).

I think that attention to heat cycles (to relieve stresses induced in
casting processes) is more important in motor break-in than any rigorous
adherance to an idealized RPM-limit schedule. Have yet to have a failure in
building my race motors that could be attributed to break-in. And have never
seen any failures in my street bikes with similar proceedures.

my $.02

Charlie McCullough
tz250 WERA #90
Lottsa Ducs