Re: [ST] 2002 VFR

On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, Tony B. wrote:

> The first time I ride a bike that performs all around
> as well as the ST, and looks as good, has charactor
> (this excludes the better but still bland VFR)I will
> consider a trade-in.

Ah, finally some good bike related content that I could sink some thought
into, thanks Tony!

But I've gotta ask ya', have you ever ridden a VFR?  More than a demo
ride?  If so I don't think you'd choose the "bland" word.  It runs on
rails through curves, has an angry snarl at the middle revs that is
unreal, and in my unique position to be able to ride both, outhandles the
ST handily.

I gotta agree I don't like the angular "Futura" looks of the new VFR as
much, something about the front signals, but then the Futura looks much
better in person than in photos so I can only hope this is true of the new
VFR.  I like the "round and curvey" looks of the sexy ST much better, but
being a function over form kinda guy anyway, I could prolly get past the
looks, having passed up many "custom" bikes to land where I am now.

IMHO, Triumph could use being a bit "bland" if it includes the Honda fit
and finish, reliability, performance and suspension/handling of the VFR.
I like a lack of 'quirks' and 'problems' that some folks can just chalk up
to "character" somehow, something I just don't understand.  For a bike
that was aimed at the VFR, they missed on so many marks, but did
successfully create something new and different that we love.  So I'm not
knocking my ST, it's my second Triumph and I love it.  But I am saying
don't knock the mighty VFR until you spend some time on it, it is a great
ride too!

- --

                               ._O_.  '99 SprintST -mine
           -Bil-              /_\o/_\ '98 VFR800FI -hers         /~\
"No I don't want a pickle..."   /H\   '89 Hawk GT  -ours   ASCII \ / Against
      bil@xxxxxxxxxx           (=O=)  AMA, CMH-Moto,      Ribbon  X  HTML
"Drink Real Ale"  "Quch!"  #3    U    DoD(6.66), HSTA!  Campaign / \ Mail