[ST] 2002 VFR and Futura

There has been much discussion as to how "ugly" these two bikes are.
    I recently got to see a Futura up close in the sunshine and it is
actually pretty nice looking save for one thing...the windshield. The
windshield was amazingly wavy and distorted. It looked like something for a
kid's plastic toy. Granted, you would have to put your head on the tank to
look through it, but it looked cheap. The rest of the bike was quite nice,
though.
    I also disagree on the looks of the new VFR. I think it looks really
nice. The fact that it doesn't look distinctive is because Honda makes
extremely popular bikes. Ours look unique because they are rare. My main
gripe with Japanese bikes are the ugly graphics that date the bikes
prematurely. Triumph seems to be low-key on the graphics, usually. The Tiger
tank graphics and TT600 two-tone aren't the greatest, though.
    I think sport-bikers, being usually younger, like the graphic treatments
as they seem to add stickers and wilder graphics. Sport-tourers, being
(ahem) older, seem to appreciate the form of the bike as they seem to like
to remove stickers and graphics. I think most of us "grew up" with bikes
that didn't have a lot of graphics and were rounded (as are ST and RS
Sprints) in form. Nowadays, bikes styling seems to lean towards the angular,
graphic-heavy (advertisement) look and younger riders like that.
    I preferred the look of the ST in '99, although I thought the BMW 1100S
looked pretty cool (the price didn't). I am anxious to see the new VFR, up
close and personal.
    Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Regards,
Bob

- ------ http://USFamily.Net/info - Unlimited Internet - From $8.99/mo! ------