Re: [ST] Time to stop.

In your message regarding Re: [ST] Time to stop.  dated Fri, 14 Sep 2001
09:49:47 -0400, WeaselDawg said that ...

<snipped>

>W-  other members of the list. Those types of posts will not be tolerated on
>W-  this list.
>W-
>W-  We often get off topic on this list - that is one of the things that keeps
>W-  it "new" and refreshing. I don't want to stop that from happening - only to
>W-  get the anger and hate under control.

As a fellow moderator of various list I would like to say how apt and
controlled Eric's response to the understandable outpouring of emotion
following the atrocities of the 11th has been.

1.  It is totally understandable that people want to express themselves in
view of the circumstances.

2.  Due to the power of the media there has never been one other occasion
when >4000 people have had their lives snuffed out and witnessed by the
whole world.

3.  The desire for retribution is also totally understandable - I feel it
myself.

4.  The US (plus NATO) has the capacity to wipe out a whole nation(s).

5.  Wiping out the aggressors (for that is who they are) may have the
result of creating yet more aggressors.

6.  Many people, much better informed than you or me, are trying to
exercise judgement with regard to point 5.

7.  Howard Serlick was entirely right in his post, and, like him, I have
spent a considerable time in the military (RN).

8.  I am also entitled to wear a kilt - so I don't have to accept
pseudo-Scottish criticism about the English.

9.  This list is not the place to engage in flame wars about political
views.

10.  I feel desperate for the families of those who have lost loved ones
in this terrible act.

11.  Can we get back to discussing motorcycling?

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/
Wales & SW ST Riders