RE: [ST] VFR and FUTURA

The last three magazines articles (two British and one US) I have read all
mentioned non-specific electrical problems with regard to all years of VFRs.
The current (BIKE?) magazine has an article on the 110 best bikes per their
reader survey and they summarize that the VFR has a higher than normal
electrical failure rate at least among their readers.

One of the current British mags has a comparison on the ST, VFR, ST4, and
Futura.  Sorry, can't remember which magazine.  I read about 8 of them at
the newsstand last night. What was interesting about this comparison is that
in the end they all came within a couple of total scoring points of each
other, with no one bike clearly ahead of the other.  The ST was dinged for
it's blandness in styling but praised for its powerband, the Ducati for it's
flat paint and praised for its mechanical nirvana, the VFR for its penchant
for locking its rider into one position and praised for its applianceness,
and the futura for it's abysmal mileage.

IMO:

The Futura is about as attractive to me as Pontiac's Aztec (someone must
like them).  It may have great handling and a great motor, but if it can't
get more than 150 miles per tank, it isn't for me.

The Ducati is nice, but has too aggressive seating for me and the
maintenance costs are too high.

The VFR makes all of its power too high in the power band, Bakes the right
foot in hot weather, and is mechanically very complicated.  Maybe the VTEC
will fix the power band, but does so with the added expense and complexity.

The ST has and does what I want it to.  It doesn't have any golly gee
whizmos that go out of style before the break in is over.  After three
years, I still get that "Wow, that is a sharp bike".  Other than a leaking
clutch shaft seal (which I think resulted from overfilling the oil) I
haven't had any mechanical problems.

I bought an ST for its ability to be a sporttourer with the emphasis on long
days in the saddle.  In that regard, the Sprint is my best choice.

Dan Wallander
'99ST
Rio Rancho, NM
> HONDA on the other hand.. I just hope they got some of
> the electrical issues taken care of along with the
> other improvements..   :) I feel very fortunate to
> Tony Burke
> 00' ST (red)

Electrical issues?

Paul & Dee