[ST] ST Rattles

I have a 99 ST with 9k miles on the clock.  The bike makes a very noisy
rattle when I roll off the throttle  in gear.  Power and performance have
not been affected.  It's not clanging, but more high pitched, like I have a
coffee can full of tiny chippings.  I can only hear it when I roll off the
throttle in gear( when transmission is under load or engine braking I
guess).  I have checked all body work and fasteners and the chain and
sprockets have minimal wear and are lubed.  I hate to take it to the dealer
not having a clue to what the problem is.  Has anyone experienced this or
have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick