[ST] Update on Blue Devil

After many phone calls to State Farm, I finally got things settled.
First off, the salvage price for the Blue Devil: a whopping USD750. I'll
be turning it in when I get the new ST. Yeah, yeah, I know. There are
plenty of parts that I get pull off it if I keep it. The problem is
space and time. I don't have room in the garage for it. It's a two car
garage filled with my 1980 Honda CM400T, five bicycles, one lawn mower,
lumber, moulding and a slew of tools.

Secondly, the value of the Blue Devil before the crash has been
determined to be USD7223. They arrived at this price by finding
comparable bikes in the area. The problem is that these geniuses were
only able to find three used 2000 Sprints for sale in the northeast. One
in the NYC area, one in upstate NY and an RS near Boston. Their
inability to find comps is what took so long to come up with a value.

Finally, my accessories. The only one that sustained any damage was the
top box. The shop, in their estimate for repairs, wrote up the lid and
the base as two separate parts. The cost of just those two items was
USD764.50. They only paid 75% for a grand total of USD573.37. I know
that I can get an entire top box for less! I removed the lock cylinders
from the old one so that I can put them in a new one thus keeping all my
panniers keyed alike. The guy at State Farm that I was dealing with had
a hard time understanding this concept.

So, after all was said and done, the grand total of the check, figuring
tax and deductible and my buying back the wreck, came to USD6980.33.
State Farm is going after the other driver's insurance company to get my
deductible (USD500). As for my protective gear (SF keeps calling it
"clothing") I am claiming that on my homeowner's insurance and they are
going after the other driver's insurance company for the deductible on
that as well.

On Saturday I will be walking into the dealer with a that check, the
title to Blue Devil, and a check for just under USD3000 and riding away
on a 2001 ST.

Now I just have to go through the break in process again

- --
Steve "Devil Dawg" Lawler

2000 Sprint ST "Blue Devil" R.I.P.
            soon to be: