[ST] '02 VFR from perspective of VFR owner

Howdy,

	I am amused at the level of griping about Triumph's most recent
version of the Sprint ST. First, I thought it was already a perfect
bike? That is what everyone at the Rallye's have been telling me ;-)
Anyway, if there were still a Triumph dealer local to me, I might just
get one of the new ones. Apparently Honda has it's head up its fanny.
Also, it is apparent that they have no spies on the VFR list, or if
they do, they cannot read English. I would say the tone on the VFR list
right now for the American listers is not happy. For the most part, it
seem sas if the majority are quite disappointed with the new bike and
are planning to hold on to their current VFR's or just jump ship and
buy something else. I'd be one of those.
	The styling first. Origami seems to be the "in" style in
cycling circles right now. Too bad. I guess it might grow on me. But
let's face it. I would like to be able to chose from more than RED!!!
VFR listers have been begging for more colors here in the states... But
apparently Honda in its infinite wisdom thinks that would be bad. So we
are left with the expensive option of buying plastic from Canada and
swapping them out with the hopes that we can resell the Red to someone
else. Forget it (unless you bang up your bike and have to get new
plastic anyway hehe). At least the ST comes in different colors!!
	The power second. This is where everyone was really really
hoping Honda would come through. Another big disappointment. Sure,
having more torque down low will be nice. But that torque level will
still be far below what other bikes in this class are producing.
Doesn't the new ST have something like 75-80 ft-lbs of torque? The new
VFR only peaks around 55-60 ft-lbs. And doesn't the new ST have
something around 120 HP?! The VFR HP has remained the same at just
under 100HP. However, in all fairness to Honda, this bike is designed
to make it's power high in the rev range and I actually like that when
riding hard. But for around town... They have also done away with the
famous gear driven cams! I guess the sound of this system is a
love/hate thing for most riders. Personally, I kind of like it.
	The weight third. There are some folks going around stating
that the new VFR is 30 lbs heavier than the old one. It is true that
according to the US site, the bike is heavier. But according to the
sites around the world, it is about the same (excluding ABS and bags).
The consensus on the VFR list is that this may be a typo. If it is
not... Oh my God! Might as well buy something else... Maybe the ST1300?
At least I'd still get the great V-four growl hehe.
	The suspension fourth. I guess that I should not expect too
much since the VFR does not cost as much as a Duc St-2 or ST-4. And the
stock suspension is actually quite good for 90% of the riding I do. It
is the week in North Carolina that makes me want better suspension
hehe. It would not have to be the top of the line SHOWA or SACHS, but
couldn't it at least be fully adjustable with a rear ride height
adjuster? Sigh... Not having put many miles on an ST, I can't really
comment on the suspension, but I imagine it is similar to the Honda. It
seems the Race Tech and Ohlins are popular upgrades for both bikes.
	The luggage last. So Honda has finally decided to make luggage.
I guess for some folks this is a huge deal. For me the point is moot.
Having used the GIVI hard luggage, I'd probaly still use it even on the
new bike. No it is not as pretty. But it damn sure holds more and is
far more durable. Although I have not seen a price for the optional VFR
luggage, I'd be willing to bet my entire GIVI setup is much cheaper and
far more useable and versatile. And c'mon... does it really look that
bad? ;-)
	I'll be saving my money. Maybe some kind of off road bike is in
the future... hmmm...

Adios,

- --
Scott Friday
98-VFR800@xxxxxxxxxxxx
2001 Honda VFR 800 Fi His in Red
1998 Honda VFR 800 Fi Hers in OEM Blue - RED BODYWORK FOR SALE!!
1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT (FOR SALE)
2001 Suzuki SV 650 S (SOLD!!)
http://sfriday.com/
http://pages.tca.net/sfriday/ (mirror site)