[ST] Re: Motorcycle Roadcraft

>Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 11:45 +0100 (BST)
>From: kwh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ken Haylock)
>Subject: [ST] Motorcycle Roadcraft [was Re: 475 mile day...]

So it's you I have to thank!! Seriously, I think I've sold about five
copies of the book in our riding group alone. It's on Grace's bedside
table, and as she's just this week back on her bike, I'm peeking to see
that she's reading it (for about the fifth time).

>When that unfortunate incident occurred, I remember suggesting Motorcycle
>Roadcraft: The Police Riders Handbook (a UK publication) to the lister
>who's
>SO this happened to. Time has passed now, and time gives perspective, so
>my
>questions to the lister concerned (and also to his SO, who had the crash
>in the first place, but is hopefully all healed up now and even back on
>two
>wheels) are:
>
>1. Is/was it useful in your riding or did you find it a waste of
>time/money?

Damn good book. It matches my personal prejudices, which is why I like it
so much. But I can't commend it enough as ax excellent primer on road (as
opposed to track) riding. The only other book I like almost as much is
"Sportbiking: the real world", and now that I type this I don't like it
nearly as much...

>2. Has it in any way changed the way you approach your road riding?

Mine no, but again I'd preabsorbed a lot of what was there.

>3. Would you recommend the book to others?

Think I just did ... <bfg>

>4. Anything in there that you didn't like or get on with?

All the cars are on the wrong side of the road...it was confusing at
first...<g,again>. Seriously, it's a little BMW/tourer/courier oriented.
But if we all rode that way, we'd all live a lot longer...

>5. Is there anything similar in the 'states already that might be a better

>bet for Americans than a British book written from the perspective of
>British roads and traffic conditions?

No. But I've been thinking about writing one...

>Cheers!

Back to you, and thanks again for the reference!

MarcD