RE: [ST] ST electrical capacity -> power controller

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Chris Strizver wrote:

> Page 80 of the owners manual:
>
> Alternator......12V 40A
> Headlight......2x12V 60/55W
> Tail/Brake.....2x12V 5/21W
> Directionals...12V 10W
>
> So, your alternator is capable of 40 amps at 12 volts. That equals 480
> watts. The maximum the bike itself will draw is if you have high beams on
> while braking and signaling a turn, which is 16 amps or 192 watts. This
> leaves you with 24 amps or 288 watts to play with.
>
> I'd say that's quite generous. Should be enough for a vest, pants, and some
> toys like GPS's. I don't have the grips, so I don't know how much of a draw
> they have. I'd also suggest to anyone who has a lot of toys that draw power
> to not go over 85% of the alternator's capabilities. In other words, don't
> add on more electrical stuff than 34 amps. Or, if you do, make certain that
> you don't have everything on while at an idle!

That is a good idea, time to add in a PIC or 68HC11 into the mix. With the
additional muscle I can taylor the pwm curve to the vest, as well as turn the
thing off if engine speed goes below a specific level (say 2000 rpm). Side
bennefit, when you standing at an intersection waiting for a green no heat,
sort of like automatic windsheild wipers :-)

To that end, could get into all sorts of power management, for example, turn
off the vest when the 10amps of horn is being applied to a BDC.

Hmm, so if you are attaching to the horn, how about a motion detector and
then you have an alarm. Well for an alarm, you need a remote control. Hey
what about remote starting :-)

That last one was getting a bit carried away, but there are a couple of very
useful ideas here. One of the things that I would like to do, is not supply
any power to any power accessory such as the vest/autocom unless the engine
has started, this may include the head lights. Secondly other accessories
such as GPS, and garage door opener I would like to see have power for about
10 minutes after the bike has been turned off. This may inlcude the autocom.

Tom