[ST] Flooded?

I saw this on another forum and thought I'd get this lists input.  Sounds
bad to me, what to you all think?

Steven "Dirty Dawg" Kohlscheen

<<
My 2000 RS has been sitting for about 2 weeks now due to a combination of
bad weather and me being sick. Anyway, I went out to crank it yesterday just
to make sure the battery wasn't dead, etc. It spins over about 3 times,
fires and then sort of hiccups. Now it won't crank at all. The odd thing is
when it "hiccupped" the engine took on a completely different sound when
turning over; almost like it would sound if you took one or two spark plugs
out and spun it over with the starter (that's the best description I can
give). I figure it must've backfired through the throttle bodies and goofed
it all up. I'm pretty sure it's flooded as well. I checked on it this
morning and I could smell gas. I'm going to buy some new spark plugs this
afternoon and try to get it running again. I was wondering, is it ok to spin
the starter over without grounding the plug wires out? Also, are there any
other secrets for un-flooding a fuel injected bike? Last question...has
anyone had anything similar that wasn't just a simple flooding?