Re: [ST] More competition for the ST

I don't know about others in this group but part of the reason I got the ST
was that it was below 1000cc.  The kawasaki is nice as is the Honda CBR 1100
but they are in the 1000cc plus neighborhood that causes their insurance
to be higher.  As for the other suggestions I am pretty happy with the
ST at its price point.  Upgraded forks would be nice but for the way I
ride wouln't be a big differnce.  The engine is fine and I'm not sure
what adding 50hp would do to the charachter of the bike.  Maybe
it is time to split the ST into 2 models.  Ask 10 people what they should
do and I am sure you will get 10 different opinions.

Wes

On Fri Sep 28 at 12:08:43 PM, Tom Emberson wrote:

> Well MCNews has an article about the new Kawi sport-bago
>
> http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=212131&documentID=93325
>
> Looks like the new ZZR1200, and hopefully ZX12 are going to at least have
> side paniers, don't know about the top box, but I am sure there will be
> options.
>
> Triumph now stands in a field that includes one more. I love my ST, but
> before it is time to trade in the ST, I hope to see some more improvements
> other the the extra 10 HP.
>
> As someone who has ~ 14k miles on my 6 month old ST, I am expect that I
> have about 18 more months on the ST. Around 40K I will probably flip.
>
> My suggestions for the ST would be, just put the damn Daytona engine in the
> ST. Yeah I know you need to differentiate the ST from the Daytona, but damn,
> think of moto journalist's jaw drops if you put an engine in a 3 bag'd bike
> that is capable of > 60 lb-ft of toruque to the rear axel from 3200 RPM right
> up to 10,000-11,000 RPM. Secondly, put the cartidge forks on the front,
> slightly better damper on the back with a better external adjust for
> pre-load.
>
> Do that, and RPM or EuroSport in DFW will see a '01 BRG ST traded in for a
> '03 BRG ST (one can hope on the colour right).
>
> Sh*te, do that, and I will have a hardtime putting a deposit down on one. I
> believe that there are a lot of people out there who would gladly pay the
> increment couple of hundred clams to get the HP and suspension.
>
> If I was on Triumph's product steerings commitee, this is what I would
> have to look at:
>
>            140 HP ST/RS           vs           110 HP ST/RS
>            great suspension                    okay suspension
>
>            A ST/RS expected to sell            B ST/RS expected to sell
>            C Daytona Sales                     D expected Daytona sales
>
> So if A-B > D-C, in other words you sell more ST/RS's than you loose
> daytona sales, life is good, every walks home with a better paycheck.
>
> But the bonus comes in, that somewhere around 1/2 the people buying the
> ST are also going to spend 500-1000 in accessories (ie. Luggage), more
> $$$$
>

> random thoughts,
> Tom

- --
~~~~wesman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My old sig was about Vaxen and VMS but I can't even figure out
the name of the company that owns them anymore.