Re: [ST] Rain gear poll

When I went to Alaska in '89, I took a KLR, which I would really
recommend over something like the Sprint. I've taken the Sprint on
gravel roads, as I have just about all my bikes. But when you need to
do 100-300 miles in a day to get to the next town, and it's all
gravel, you will appreciate a dual sport. The other thing you have to
contend with in Alaska is mud, and you will really appreciate having
a knobby tire and something lighter like a KLR then. I saw people up
in Alaska with Gold Wings though, but it just didn't look very fun.

What I wish I had taken was an electric vest and grips. But that was
in my more foolish days, so I got by with a snow bib and rain suit.
If I was doing it now, I would take my First Gear Kilimanjaro and
matching insulated bib. While I was lucky with weather on my trip,
usually you can expect a lot of rain and mud. Even in the summer, in
Alaska you should be prepared for temps down in the thirties at
times, so more insulation is better. My leathers fit tight so it
would be hard to get enough layers underneath them when it really
gets cold.

Make sure you buy a copy of the Milepost before leaving. It is
indispensable for traveling in Alaska.

If you can, I would delay the trip so that you are in Alaska late
August, early September. The mosquitos aren't such a problem then,
and it gets dark enough to see the Northern Lights, which was one of
my all time great experiences.

If you're coming up 101, stop in Ferndale and say hello, or spend the
night. We're a good stopping point for your first day out, about 300
miles north of San Francisco.

>I'm planning on embarking on the longest ride I've
>done thus far and had a question for those of you
>who've done some distance.
>
>Do you prefer leather touring suit + rain suit or
>gortex, waterproof touring suit?  How waterproof are
>these gortex touring suits anyway?
>
>I currently have leathers that I've done a fair amount
>of shorter stuff on (e.g. 1,500mi on a three day
>weekend).  However, I'm planning on heading from San
>Francisco to Alaska in June.  After Alaska, I was
>thinking of heading east on the Alcan to the Canadian
>Rockies, down the Rockies into the States and then
>hitting National Parks as I make my way back to SF in
>the Auguest timeframe.  Any general (or specific)
>thoughts or comments from those of you who've done all
>or part of this?
>
>Leaving SF around 6/3 if anyone interested in making
>all or part of the trip together.

- --
Matt Knowles
Aesthetic Design & Photography - www.aestheticdesign.com - (707) 786-4643