[ST] Mods to RS exhaust to allow ST bag moutning?

At the risk of a collective "dumbass" from you all.... I have an 'o1 RS
which is to my mind just about the perfect motorcycle. But of course
being a motorcycle I can't bring myself to leave well enough alone. I
love the RS but I also want hard bags. Have decided to buy Givi's but am
curious about something. In comparing the RS and ST I see but two small
differences to the bag mounting area: the swingarm and the adjustable
exhaust on the ST. I wonder if a clever fellow couldn't come up with a
longer hanger to lower the exhaust on an RS thus allowing the mounting
of Triumph factory hard bags / or using the Givi mounting rack designed
for the ST which would mount the bags lower. Anyone else ever try this
or have any experience with this? Am I missing some major difference
which wouldn't allow the mod I describe? Somone told me the passenger
foot pegs are different but I can't see it. Should I duck the incoming
chorus of jeers?
Cheers,
Robbie McClaran
'01 Blk RS, no ugly ass decals