Re: [ST] Mods to RS exhaust to allow ST bag moutning?

Thanks for the suggestions and apologies to all who like the RS decals.
I'll refrain from referring to RS decals as "ugly ass" from now on.

I checked with a local dealer and the rear subframe on the ST and RS are
the same part so that shouldn't be a problem. What I did not realize was
that ST had different, lower rear footpeg mounts.

Howard Stephen Serlick wrote:
> Just one small detail about lowering the RS exhaust. I believe that the RS does NOT have a swivel (or pivot) installed so the can can be lowered as with the ST.
>You might have to install an ST header pipe.

Here is where my ignorance figures in, I wasn't aware the ST had one
either. I admit I havn't tried but was guessing I could simply loosen
the clamp where the can connects to the header, let it rotate down a few
inches and tighten it back up. Obviously I'd have to lengthen the hanger
for the pipe somehow, either fab a new one or add spacers and longer
bolts. The potential problem here is if once rotated down the can gets
into the swingarm.

Finally it all may become a moot point cause I just scored some Givi's
on Ebay. Fair bit cheaper too than the $1050 for the factory set up.

Chris "Snow Dawg" Strizver wrote:

> I know this is the easy one, but here it is anyway... If its sooo perfect,
> why do you want an ST feature? Shoulda bought the better bike and got
> yourself an ST!

Well now, I did say "just about perfect" didn't I? That's the wonderful
thing about motorbikes, one man's Harley softail is another man's Ducati
998. Build me an ST with a half fairing that sounds like my '71 Norton
and we're getting closer to perfect (for me) still. Then again it's just
as well the ST isn't perfect either or our good friends at Jack Lilley
would be out of business.

Cheers,
Robbie in PDX where indeed it is sunny and 70° but damnit I'm working
'01 Blk RS, no decals but scratches on the tank from the Widder switch