[ST] re: Mobile Phone flame war - TORCH ON!

> I just wanted to say that I truly hope I'm not in the vicinity of Black
Dawg when he's ridin' n phonin'.

> Comparing usage of a mobile phone with intercomming a pillion is
foolishness.  The pillion is keenly aware of the focus and attention needed
for operating a motorcycle, your
wife/boss/client/girlfriend/boyfriend/daughter/mother etc, etc, on the other
end of a mobile phone call doesn't have a clue.  You and the pillion have
extremely similar vantage points, so if you say "look at that!", the pillion
can look.  Phonebuddy will have to have it explained.

> Using the Formula 1 (and, dare I say it, NASCAR) examples is also poor
rationalization.  The crew chief isn't going to ring up Jeff Gordon (or
Michael Schumacher) to ask them to pick up some Coke on their way home.  (Of
course, if Jeff did that, he'd be in trouble with the sponsors, but that's
another matter.)  The crew chief is focused on the same essential task as
the driver, keeping safe and winning the race.  The driver is operating on a
closed course where everybody is going the same direction.  There is no
cross traffic, no kids or deer jumping out in front, no rivulets of spring
water crossing the roadway in the midst of a shadowed decreasing radius
turn, no manufactured housing being transported on the OTHER side of that
bend, etc.

> Human transportation managed quite well for thousands of years without the
constant availability of the cell phone.  Methinks we can manage a bit
longer....