Re: [ST] re: Mobile Phone flame war - TORCH ON!

Enrico wrote:

>I can't believe it... most of the people of the USA I know are liberal. Why
thus
>can't anyone use its cellphone if he wants? Everyone is nevertheless
responsible
>for itself...
>Why thus do some people believe to have to behave themself like teachers
who speak with >stupid children?

In a liberal society, you have freedom to do what you want, but only if it
does not affect or endanger others (including your dependants).  The same
argument would apply to drunk driving, after all - "Heck, why shouldn't I
drive home wasted?  It's only my life I'm putting in danger".  *If* studies
really prove that users of cell phones make the roads more dangerous for
others, why should they have the right to endanger others?

That is a big *if*  of course - I'm still trying to work out if the 1997 New
England Journal of Medicine study mentioned in Tom's article really did
prove that cell phone use (whether hands-free or not) increases risk of
accidents.  But if it isn't really proven, then we'd better not have any
more comments on this list about those nasty dangerous SUV drivers using
their cell phones! ;-)

Neil