Re: [ST] Re: Cell Phones

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Sum1" <iamsumtimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "ST List" <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: [ST] Re: Cell Phones

> >I can't believe it... most of the people of the USA I know are liberal. Why
> thus can't anyone use its cellphone if he wants? >Everyone is nevertheless
> responsible for itself...
> >Why thus do some people believe to have to behave themself like teachers
> who speak with stupid children?
>
> >Enrico
>

>     We have a saying that your right to swing your fist ends at my nose. The
> question is whether or not cell phone usage while driving is a danger to
> others. If not, then talk away, but if so then you're violating the rights
> of others by endangering them with your reckless behavior.

That's a matter of opinion. From my point of view I am able to use a cellphone during driving a car or bike without endanger myself or anybody else. In my car I have installed a handsfree set and on my bike my cellphone is connected to my Autocom. I don't need to touch the phone because I'm only answer a phone call. The cellphone itself swiches on and I only have to talk.

>     I personally cannot drive and use the phone at the same time safely and
> >from the boneheaded things I've seen people do while talking on the phone
> while driving, neither can most others. Some may be able to, but if it's OK
> for them to do so then it must be legal for all to do so, and therein lies
> the problem. It's been my experience that most people's faith in their
> multitasking abilities greatly exceeds the reality of the situation and they
> are a danger to others on the road.

In Austria you must have a handsfree set in your car if you will use your cellphone. Because of this law the numbers of accidents based on using a cellphone are going down.

>     I once saw a young fellow cruising  down the road on a Hardly Davidson
> with no helmet, no eye protection, short pants, a tank top, sandals and
> talking on his cell phone. (I'm not sure how he could hear it) I gave him a
> wide berth needless to say.

This behaviour is irresponsible.

> Scott

Enrico