Re: [ST] For Brakes as Hard as Abs

Thanks Rich, I'll give it a try and get back to you with the results.

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Hartwick" <hartwick@xxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "William Sanders" <tuckersdad@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 11:59 AM
Subject: [ST] For Brakes as Hard as Abs

> Bill,
>
> Try this trick that my dealer's mechanic showed me.  Tie the front brake
lever back with a nylon tie to similar thing.   Put moderate pressure on the
lever.  Leave it on overnight, then cut it off in the morning.  You should
find the brake travel is minimal, and they will feel hard rather than mushy.

> I am not sure why this trick works, but it does.  My guess is the seal on
the caliper pistons does not advance in the piston bores as freely as it
should - this long term pressure forces the edge of the seal to advance,
thus pulling the pistons into close contact with the pads/rotors, and
minimizing free play.  Try it anyway, and let us know how it goes.

> Rick Hartwick
> 900 Trophy, and no more shoulder pains
>
> PS
>
> I am forwarding this to the Trophy group as well, since there have been
several posts on this same problem there.
. . . .