[ST] For Brakes as Hard as Abs

I've tried the tie-the-lever trick and it helps but
only for a few days.  The real trick (that I thought
most of us here knew about) is to do the famed T5-list
caliper trick.  I don't have the text on this computer
but Bill if you can't find it (or no one else posts
it) look on t5.net under FAQ's I think, or email me
offlist.  Basically, when the front brake starts
getting a little mushy you just remove the calipers,
one at a time, pump the lever 'til the pads touch and
then push them back in as far as they'll go.  Do this
a couple times each side.  But be careful with the
brake lever at first because _you won't believe_ the
difference.  ('cause you are used to the mushiness).
I've done this twice in 13,000 miles.  One finger
stopping is returned!  The bigger question is why
these brakes need this but since it's so utterly
simple and only takes time enough for one beer in the
garage, I don't mind a tol.  While we're at it though,
liSTeRS, is there something you could spray on the
pistons that would safely lubricate them so they
wouldn't stick in the bores?

BTW Bill, I have an MZ dealer that just opened right
down the street from my house and I've done some
demos.  Cool little bikes! (Have you seen the 1000S
coming out next year?  Could be a real contendah).
But the braking is not any better than on my RS, in
fact, not as good.  Do the caliper thingy, that's all
it needs.

Randy
'00 RS

Bill,

Try this trick that my dealer's mechanic showed me.
Tie the front
brake lever back with a nylon tie to similar thing.
Put moderate pressure
on the lever.  Leave it on overnight, then cut it off
in the morning.
You should find the brake travel is minimal, and they
will feel hard
rather than mushy.

I am not sure why this trick works, but it does.  My
guess is the seal
on the caliper pistons does not advance in the piston
bores as freely
as it should - this long term pressure forces the edge
of the seal to
advance, thus pulling the pistons into close contact
with the
pads/rotors, and minimizing free play.  Try it anyway,
and let us know how it
goes.