[ST] Re: st-digest V2002 #200

RE:  Break In Advice

It has always interested me that many of us are willing to risk serious
damage to expensive equipment in the name of "doing it better" based on
something we've heard from "experienced" riders or read on the net.  I'm
assuming the wonderful 955 engine is the result of a tremendous amount of
work carried out by highly qualified engineers with knowledge of
metallurgy, various lubricants and what abuse their engine will withstand.
Manufactures put MANY engines through thousands of miles of bench- and
road-testing, using different running-in strategies and various oils.  They
also are concerned about the longevity of said engine because it'll cost
them dearly to fix their mistakes under warranty.  There is probably no
perfect way to run in a new bike, but, I believe, if you follow the
manufacturer's recommendations you will rarely have a problem. (And if you
do, you'll have legitimate recourse)

Paul.