[ST] Attn. Sean Baumann re: MZ's

Hi Sean,

MZs were formerly named MuZ. They're manufactured in the former East
Germany. My knowledge of them isn't too great, but I'll try to condense what
I do know of them. For many years they made small two stroke bikes, and
still do.Their name is taken from the town name in which they are produced.
They also manufacture a line named Skorpions. These bikes are all powered by
a Yamaha 5 valve, OHC, water cooled, single cylinder 660 cc engine. I
believe MZ produces their own frames and other parts, but also source out
for other components. My dealer, who is also my Triumph dealer, says many
components are shared with Ducati's and other makes. Heck, the turn signals
are the same as used on the rear of my ST. The model I own is called the
Skorpion Sport Cup, or siimply The Sport. It is a fully faired sport bike
with clip on bars, rear set pegs, and mine has only a single seat.
Unfortunately, this model has been discontinued. A similar model is the
Skorpion Traveller. I think it has the same suspension ( Paoli forks) and
(Grimeca) brakes, but with more upright bars/seating, and comes standard
with hard bags. It also has a two year warranty. The sole US importer is in
FL. These bikes are, IMHO, reasonably priced.

My bike handles better than anything I have ever ridden.I'm pretty sure
there was a racing class which was limited to the MZ Sport only, up until
this year. It was renamed (can't recall what) and expanded to include other
makes. My dealer, Backroads Triumph, in Jacksonville, NC, sponsors the
series champ, Bruce Brown. He raced and won that class at the recent Daytona
races.

I'm afraid this is growing too long winded. I've included some links which
you may find helpful/interesting. Any more questions I'd be happy to respond
to off list @ tuckersdad@xxxxxxxxxx  Thanks for the interest,  Bill

http://www.motorradna.com/Models.htm

http://www.squidlys.com/article/muz01/