[ST] RE: Track day preparation

> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:37:06 +1000
> From: "Barry Evans" <barryevans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Track day preparation
>
> I am planning to do my first ever track day on my bog standard 6000 km ST.
> Hey, its British RACING Green! As I understand it, all the
> scrutineers will
> do is check that my bike's brakes, tyres and chains are OK and that I have
> boots, gloves, leathers and approved helmet. Hopefully these should all be
> OK.
>
> What steps/tips should I take to prepare my bike and myself for the track
> day? I particular things like suspension and tyres. I managed to
> pick up one
> tip from the archives: cable tie the centre stand to the rubber
> bung bracket
> on the exhaust to avoid it dragging. Note, however, that I do not want to
> permanently modify anything on my bike and I will not be trying too hard
> because I am well aware of my own inexperience and limitations.
>
> One other thing, the bike is nearly 12 months old, but has only done about
> 6,000 km. Should I get it serviced before or after the track day
> in about 10
> days time?

Barry,

Some circuits also do a noise check at, if I remember correctly, 5000 rpm. I
run a stock can, so have no problem.

Other than the cable tie, I don't think the bike requires anything special.
Make sure the front brake is well bled! If you run a Scottoiler, switch it
off on the day.

The ST runs very well, but gets a little hot under the collar - the fan
stays on for quite a while after a session.

I run custom/Ohlins suspension front and rear, and was quite happy with my
standard street set-up (which is a little on the sporty side anyway). On the
(strong) recommendation of the Avon Motorcycle Product Manager, I ran
standard 36/42 tyre pressures for the track without any problems or nasty
moments. But remember to give the tyres a couple of laps to heat up before
you start the heroics!

I found I could grind the pegs on both sides without anything else touching
down. My heart says remove the centrestand, but my head says there's no
need. But you'll need to hang WELL off if you're going to get a corner speed
close to some of the more sporty hardware.

I found that there are a few areas where the ST can be used to particularly
good effect. Firstly, the brakes are second to none (provided your front
suspension is up to it). Secondly, the mid-range torque of the ST allows you
to corner in a relatively high gear, giving you smooth control and a broad
range of descent power, so you don't have to make gear changes when heeled
over. Thirdly you can wap the taps open at the apex without (much) fear of
the rear end breaking loose (whilst all around you are fighting their power
slides and anticipating a change of underwear) giving you a very useful exit
speed. Take it as close to the rev-limiter as you can predict - you'll be
surprised how quick the ST can be.

The only bummer in the whole shooting match is the gearbox. S'crap. Having
tried a Duc 748, 996, CBR600 and FireBlade on the track, I can only conclude
its the Trumpet and not me. 40+% of the time, it simply won't take a racing
(clutchless) up-change, and will leave you 'lost in space without a
thruster' and miles from the nearest clutch lever. I'm determined to get a
fast change with the clutch before my next track day...

There, you've got me itching for a spree. Hmmmmm must count my marital
brownie points?

BTW Good colour choice... ~:)

Regards,
- --