RE: [ST] I Need HELP Going from 1st to 2nd Gear

Linda,

Glad to know you're getting attached to that Sapphire Blue beauty.

My Sprint RS has been the best bike I've ever ridden (for ME), and I've
ridden alomost every kind of sport-oriented motorcycle out there. Most
recently, I took a whirl on my friend Steve Douville's Aprilia RSV Mille,
and that was an awesome bike to ride. However, none of the litre-class
sportbikes I've ridden has had the light steering of my Sprint, making it a
joy to flick around like a 600 (ridden those too, and while they do handle
quick, no match in the torque dept!)

As for the shifting, perhaps I've been lucky, but my transmission has been
as smooth as butter since break-in, some 21,000 miles ago (I'm now at
26,0000).

Lastly, the RS has no centre stand unless I buy the option, so I can't
really help you there...BUT...

Putting any bike on it's centre stand is more a knack of leverage than shear
strength. I was taught a trick many years ago after an older rider saw me
struggle to get my T160 on it's stand. He showed me that it's more efficient
to push down with your leg hard, as you pull up with your hand. Use as much
force as possible on the "downstroke", leaving the hand to do little more
than "guide" the bike up. Worked like a charm for me on that bike, and my
last one, A Suzuki Katana 750.

See you tomorrow at the Vanilla Bean Cafe, around noon.

Ken M.
00 RS

P.S. - I'm putting together a route to ride down to the Gillette Castle in
East Haddam after the TRNE meeting. Rain or shine, I ride!