RE: [ST] Reservoir Dawg rides again

Hello there again ST listers.  Some of you may remember me ; I'm the
bloke
in London who got threatened at gunpoint last year and avoided getting
shot
because the guy's grandad used to ride Triumph.  Had lots of very
supportive
comments from some of you at the time, so thanks again.  Been out of
action
since then due to ex-spouse (briefly) going missing in NYC on 11/9 and
father dying on 18/11.  However, period of agonised introspection now
over,
I'm stronger, wiser etc, and the roads are drying out nicely here in UK.

I'm very sorry you have had such a rough go of it and glad you are back
with us and riding again!!

Which leads me onto a query.  When I got the Sprint at 1600 miles with
the
standard can, fuel consumption was astounding, regularly over 60 mpg.
After
fitting the carbon can , consumption seems to have dropped at lot -
about
15%.  End of the can looks sooty, which suggests rich running.
Certainly a
lot dirtier than with the old can, and downright filthy compared to my
Saab,
the end of the pipe of which is totally clean.  Anyone else had this
expreience with the can?  I had it fitted by my local dealer, who has
Triumph awards, so assume that the right software was downloaded.
Comments
please.

Well, our fuel consumption increase after adding the carbon fiber can,
but if you are still getting 48 mph, I don't think I would be concerned
about that.  We are currently get 40-48 mpg out of our STs.  As for the
pipe, are you "using oil."  Both of ours get pretty dirty, but for a
while, my ST's pipe was getting downright filthy AND I was using oil.  I
had to have my stem seals replaced in one cylinder (under warranty). If
you are really worried about it, see if your shop had a gas analyzer and
ask them if there is a benefit to using it on your bike with the problem
you described.

Also, the handlebars feel skewed.  Bike tracks OK when hands taken of
bars,
but it feels weird in an odd way.  My dealer rode it and said it was
fine,
but commented that the ST was odd in that the assymetrical instrument
console tended to make it difficult to check visually create whether the
bars were at the 90 degrees God and Mr. Triumph intended. Maybe I've
been
out of the saddle too long. Anyone else share this affliction?

Can't say that I have on this one.

Clothing:  weary of boil-in-the-bag-chicken impressions last summer in
leathers, I have followed the advice of some of you US listers and
invested
in a pair of Draggin jeans for summer riding.

Being in Texas, I know the syndrome ;-)!  The alternatives out there
right now for "hot" riding are increasing as the years go by.  It's
great to see.

Nice to be back on the list.

Great to have you back!!

Lisa White