[ST] 2nd bike, not the charm

Well it's been a while, last fall I had just gotten my new '01 ST to replace
the irreparable mystery problem on my '00.  I immediately started having
problems with fuel consumption spiraling downward & had it in twice for tune
adjustments (which did not solve the problem but I ran out of riding season),
once to replace the whiney fuel pump (i know, I'm lucky, some of you have just
had to live with this one), and again to replace a leaky output shaft seal.
That was all last year before 2K miles.

I just took the bike out two weeks ago and of course its still sucking fuel to
the tune of (sometimes) 30 U.S. mpg's.  Last week it began running very rough
at low rpm's.  I called my dealer & he can't look at it until the 30th.  In the
meantime I decided to do a good spring cleanup and discovered oil leaking in
four separate areas.  1) the air box is full of oil & running down the outside
of the engine. 2) the right side crankcase where a sensor of some kind emerges.
3) Just in front of and below that same sensor where the oil pan bolts on. 4)
left side of engine underneath (looks like oil pan again). The foam on the
inside of the left fairing is covered with oil & coolant as well.

I guess they could all be from the same source but it sure doesnt' look like
it.  The engine is pretty dusty and they all seem to be isolated to their own
areas.

I bagged the cleanup routine because I don't want to disturb anything until I
can get it to the shop.

If you count the 6 + or - days last summer that the bike was in the shop &
count the 13 days until I can get it in to the shop now, then figure another 5
days to get it fixed, that's 24 days out of service.  I'm only about 6 days of
downtime away from being able to lemon law this thing and kiss it goodbye for
good. (don't think I'll stick around to see if the third time is the charm)

I owned old Japanese bikes for almost 20 years and in all that time I didn't
accumulate half the repair time that I have since March of '00 with two of
these things.

Sorry, had to rant. I'll post again when I know what's what.

Steve Bergman

01 Sprint ST