RE: [ST] Helmet Preference...

Ooooh, is it time for the helmet thread?

John,

I've never been able to fit into a Shoei so can't really comment about it's
comfort.  I've always been happy with my Arai Signets(15 years in Arais)
which, someone correct me if I'm wrong, have the same shield mechanism the
Quantums have.  The mechanism to remove the shield is funky, but you get
used to it.  I just got a new Signet GT with the little latches which make
it easier than the old method which sounded like I was trying to take my
shield off one little chunk at a time.  The GT is quieter, more comfortable
and has excellent ventilation, at least as compared to my four year old
Signet S.

As for my opinion...   I think you should buy the most comfortable helmet
you can afford and get used to the convenience/inconvenience of the shield
mechanism.  If a helmet is not comfortable, you won't want to wear it.
Also, venting has come a long way in just a couple of years.  It's good to
be cooler in the summer.  Earplugs cover the noise increase with the vents
open.

Dan Wallander
'99 ST
'74 R90/6 (my new baby)