[ST] RE: Tyre pressures for track day

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 08:46:15 +1000
> From: "Barry Evans" <barryevans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [ST] Tyre pressures for track day
>
> Should I reduce my (stock BT57s set at 42R/36F) tyre pressures for a track
> day? By how much? Expecting 32oC (90oF) for tomorrow. Apparently,
> track has
> plenty of bends, good tarmac and is not real fast.
> What's the consensus on this?
> Thanks
> Barry
> 01 BRG ST

Barry,

To chip in another two penn'orth into the fray...

A quote from Avon's Motorcycle Product Manager:

> ...Running at 33/36 will improve initial grip, at the expense of wear.
> However, if you are happy with available grip at 36/42, then why decrease
> the pressure to wear the tyre out faster?. Only decrease the pressures if
> you  are riding at a level where you are getting braking and powering
> slides.

Empirically, I continue to run 36/42 on track without problems. Why should I
change?

What I would definitely recommend is that you write to the manufacturer and
ask them. They're usually only too happy to advise. Then it's (usually) a
matter of deciding whether to follow advice or fashion!

Regards,
- --
BRG
mailto:keith.tynan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx