RE: [ST] Helmet Preference...

Thanks Val and everyone for all of your helpful comments.

As far as having a strictly Shoei or Arai head, I have not found that to be
the case for me.  My old Shoei X-8 Air was probably the best fitting, most
comfortable helmet I ever owned.  After that I moved into the X-9 which is
great but hasn't been quite up to the same level of that old X-8.  Now I've
tried on the Z-Two and that is less comfortable again, which is what pushed
me into trying out an Arai.  The Quantum fits me best, in fact for the 5
minutes I had it on in the shop I'd be tempted to say that it's the most
comfortable helmet I've ever worn.  So, right now I'm leaning towards
getting the Quantum and just learning to use the visor system.  There are
tons of people using the helmet - so it can't be all that hard to get used
to!

Again, thanks for all of your comments.

John
'01 BRG ST

- -----------------------------------------

I've used an Arai Quantum-f for the last 2 years. It's the only lid I've
tried that is totally comfortable in every way for the shape of my head.

1. The ventilation is very good.

2. I don't intentionally use the face shield latch so it hasn't been
problem. I've accidentally latched it a couple of times and it was a "pain
in the ass".

3. I've only taken the face shield off twice so awkward on/off isn't an
issue for me.  I wear sunglasses when it's bright out.

4. My only complaint is wind noise. Some helmets have shields that extend
backwards over the attachment point to the helmet. So the opening at the
shields rear-most point is facing backwards with the wind flowing quietly
over it as it leaves you.  I am told that helmets of this design are less
noisy.  On the other hand, the Arai's shield has a cover over rear portion.
The cover's opening faces forward toward the wind and acts as a air scoop
which produces noise.  If the Arai was less noisy it would be absolutely
perfect in every way.

5. I have been told that with regard to fit and comfort a person either has
an "Arai shaped head" or "Shoei shaped head", and never the twain shall
meet.  Do you find both comfortable? I sure didn't, one was a perfect fit
the other was mild torture.
Val