Re: [ST] U-turn diameter

At 10:39 AM 4/23/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>I asked specifically if the reving of the
>engine helped the bike stability due to the gyroscopic effect and got a
>"no" from both instructors.  I've always felt that it did help make the
>bike feel more balanced, so it's something I'll probably continue to do
>unless playing around in the parking lot proves otherwise.

No doubt about the positive effect of this gyroscopic force on lower weight
machines. The term 'panic rev' applies to a motocrosser that gets (too) out
of shape in the air. The blast of throttle will help to right the bike.

Also, when the 4 stroke mx bikes came became competitive in ' 98 &' 99 much
was made about the effect the higher weight of the reciprocating mass had
on handling, both in the air and in turns. Previous 2 stroke riders
initially had difficulty getting the big 4 strokes to turn well because the
higher reciprocating mass/gyroscopic effect tries to right the motorcycle.

Obviously the same principles apply to our ST/RS's but the physics at work
here have less of an effect since our bikes weigh 2.5 x more.

FWIW,
Apex Dawg

End of st-digest V2002 #231