Re: [ST] U-turn diameter

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "John Petrey, Jr." <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: [ST] U-turn diameter

> No doubt about the positive effect of this gyroscopic force on lower
weight
> machines. The term 'panic rev' applies to a motocrosser that gets (too)
out
> of shape in the air. The blast of throttle will help to right the bike.

Panic rev refers to the torque reaction from revving the engine against the
rear tire's rotational moment of inertia. Revving it brings the nose up.
Slowing it with the rear brake brings the nose down. You would do this to
fine tune the landing angle, within limits of course.

I don't get enough air to know this first hand, mind you. I'm just a geek
who reads too much.

The interesting part is that the front is still spinning and, believe it or
not, they countersteer against this, also. This last seems a bit too much of
a stretch to me...