[ST] RE: Oil overflow was Oil overflow (takes 2) and crankcase breather seal

> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:23:36 +1000
> From: "Barry Evans" <barryevans@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Yesterday I did my first track day (might post a few points/questions on
> this later if I get time) and all was going fine until I spotted
> a few drops
> of oil coming from the swinging arm while the bike was on its side stand
> during a 1 hour lunch break. Closer inspection (with bike on the centre
> stand) showed that the oil level was now some how mysteriously completely
> covering the sight glass and that the oil was originating deep up inside
> no-man's land up in the engine. Oil in the airbox breather/overflow tube
> 'thingy' was suspected by my (experienced build-your-own bike)
> fellow track
> dayers. My ST has never leaked oil before, the oil and filter (dealer
> fitted) were 1500 (road) km old (including some hard/fast stuff during the
> Ozy Triumph centenary ride :) and level was at the top mark of the sight
> glass when *bike was on it centre stand* (I know the manual says off the
> centre stand, but try getting the missis interested in holding your bike
> while you peer at the glass!).

Barry,

This sounds alarmingly familiar.

On my last track day, my otherwise leak-free ST started to drip (the very
slightest of drips). The drip itself came off the sump plug, but the source
seemed to be somewhere higher up around the back of the engine/gearbox. The
level (see below) was dead-centre before and after the day, i.e. no
perceptible change.

When I was doing the bike's 12k/Y2 service recently, I noticed an
accumulation of oil on top of the gearbox cover and some oily mist in the
airbox.

Do I conclude that makin' those horse *really* gallop leads to a bit more
bypass? I personally don't thing that fast road work comes remotely close to
a track session, hence never having seen the symptoms on the road.

> And for my future reference, what does at an oil level at top
> mark of sight glass with bike on centre stand look like off the
> stand?

Not enough of a difference to warrant the struggle of a one-man sighting off
the stand (IMHO).

Lookin' forward to your write-up.

Regards,
- --