Re: [ST] Breather valve crank case pressure question

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 05:53:53PM -0700, Steve Bergman wrote:
> So if the breather valve is bad, either poorly designed or fitted backwards or
> possibly both, would that cause the crank case oil pressure to build?  Could
> that explain the oil seeping from the crank case seals?
>
> It would be nice if all the oil issues were linked to the same issue.

I don't think so, but it would be nice, as I'm having seepage between
the seams off my crankcase, and would like that to magically go away as
well.

I don't really understand the mechanics of the centrifugal breather
valve fully, but it seems to be a mechanism to release crankcase gasses
while preventing oil from escaping.  Even if the seal is not working,
the gases are still going to escape, perhaps more freely.  In other
words, I don't think the seal going bad would cause the crankcase to
pressurize.  But maybe I'm wrong?

Laters,
Brian
- --