Re: [ST] Orlando Rental

I rented a wide glide when I was in St Pete last November. This was an
invite to start Harley bashing, right? Anyway, I had an honest by gosh
Harley Experience the very first day. The clutch clamp shell popped off
coming back from Naples that night. The clutch was still usable, but the
lights turned off everytime I squeezed. It didn't matter much when I was
moving; I had been shifting clutchless since getting out of earshot of the
shop. Full stops, though, were dangerous, genuinely life threatening.

Other observations: the wide glide isn't a good distance machine at all. The
300 miles was gruelling. I rode back was bearable only with my feet on the
passenger pegs, and chin bar resting on the handlebar. The speedometer must
have been broken. Full throttle, arms uncomfortably stretched against the
blast, feet sore and twisted from being wedged in place behind opportune
brackets, the speedo read 94 mph, edging slowly toward 95 at times.

At the hotel the next morning, a blue haired old woman commented as I warmed
up the engine (Samson pipes, the shop proprietor called them; open shorties
was what they were) that something sounded "not right with the engine". That
brought a smile to my face, but I didn't bother to explain. (She wouldn't
have got it. :-)

I tried trawling the strip mall just up the boulevard from the hotel one
night. This part was fun, but my wife appreciated my coming home alone.

Oh, about the lever clamp. To their credit, they came out the next morning
and put a new one on, bright and early. I didn't understand the look the
young guy gave me when I suggested maybe a little Loctite was called for.
(He prolly figures I didn't get it.) Oh well; maybe they had a whole case of
'em to run through.