Re: [ST] Race Tech Installation

> I have a quick question.  Is it necessary to
>completely remove the fork tubes to do this work?

Yes..  One reason is that it'll be really hard to get the fork fluid
level correct if the forks are on the bike. Also you need to really
drain them and it's a lot easier off the bike. Also having the forks
off the bike makes it much simpler to seat the emulators.

Also as far as setup make sure that you get the correct rate springs.
If you ordered them using Racetech's weight guide lines on their web
site you will get springs that are too light. Racetech uses Triumphs
published dry weight as a base .. this gives you, using their
guidelines a weight wet with fuel and rider gear of 492 lbs!!!!  The
true wet weight of an ST is about 525 lbs add in 30 lbs for a two
pannier setup plus about 8 lbs for rider gear. In other words if you
weight 200lbs or more you need 1kg springs, not the .90 that racetech
suggests. Also 15wt fork fluid is the new recommendation.. and I'd
suggest the emmulators be set lower, to 1.5 turns not the 2 turns
Racetech suggests.. unless you have very smooth roads around you.
Mine are at 2 turns and I find the compression damping is a bit too
stiff.. Bike jumps off square edge bumps a bit too much instead of
absorbing them (FWIW the bike is going in on Monday for fresh fork
fluid and I'll be turning backs the emmulators to 1.5 turns also) The
125mm of fluid level is correct as is the internal pre load of 15mm.

Erik