[ST] Battery Woes II

Hello Again,

So I charged my battery and still the bike won't start.
The battery won't hold charge, I've been told the rectifier/regulator on the
charging circuit may have "cooked" the battery.
Has anyone replaced the rectifier/regulator?
How much does the part cost and how was it to fit?

Thanks

Jonny

HISTORY OF MY BATTERY:-
I'm having battery problems again.

My first battery froze during winter so I replaced it but
because of infrequent use the battery lost its charge (due largely to the
alarm/immobiliser draining current).
So...I bought a battery monitor (OPTIMATE) to keep the charge
up, this has worked well for the 3 months of use.

But..today I opened the garage hopeing to ride my 1999 ST.
The battery had not charged and there was alot of condensation
around the battery compartment and underneath the saddle.

Is my battery bust? Are Optimates any good?
Why is ther condensation/water around the battery compartment (a
common
occurence)?
Is there any other battery maintenance steps I should be taking?