RE: [ST] Race Tech Installation

I was able to finish up my Race Tech installation last night, though I
haven't had a chance yet to set the static sag and try them out yet.
The sky looks pretty blue out there today so as soon as I'm through
here.......

Since I was adding a K&N air filter as well (I added a Staintune slip on
last week, goes in for the new tune Tuesday :-)), I had the tank and
rear body panels off to do the job.  With the bike on the center stand,
I was able to tie the back of the bike down using motorcycle tie down
straps attached to the sub frame (one on each side) on one end and a
couple anchors I installed in the garage wall at the other end.  It
provided more than enough room to remove the forks while providing a
stable work platform.

Installing the Race Tech Cartridge Emulators (CE's) was much the same as
had been previously documented.  To set the fork oil level, I used a
small turkey baster that I had marked 125 mm from the bottom, squeezed
the bulb, inserted into the top of the compressed fork tube, and
extracted any excess fluid.  Rechecking with a ruler verified my result.
The fork oil I used was Bel Ray 15 wt semi synthetic as recommended by
Race Tech when I ordered the parts.  Apparently their brand fork oil was
not or is not available in 15 wt.

The preload spacer length worked out to 6.5" (165mm) in order to get the
15mm preload recommended by Race Tech.

One tool I found extremely helpful was a Sears Craftsman Flexible Spring
Claw Pick-Up Tool (Part # 41322) for raising and lowering the CE's in
and out of the fork tubes, well worth the $7.

Thanks again for all the feed back and if the results are different than
others have experienced, I'll report back.

JP  '99 Red ST

End of st-digest V2002 #239