[ST] new list member introduction and questions

Hi all:

I am new to the list; and intend primarily to lurk because I joined the list
to find out whether the Sprint ST or RS would make a good ride for me.

As you can see, I hail from Ontario, Canada.  I live in a small village
called Lafontaine about 100 miles north of Toronto.

I am retired, but am currently working part time for my former employer
doing programme evaluation.

I currently own a lovely Honda ST1100A also called the PanEuropean, which I
consider the best bike I have ever owned (and I have had a lot, including:
Puch 125, NSU 125, Honda 50, Yamaha 250 400 and xs100, Triumph 500 Tiger,
Ducati 350 and 750, Suzuki 350 and 750, BMW 650, K 75, R 1100RS - I have
only been able to afford one of these bikes at a time though).

Health concerns, as well as other reasons, suggest  that I should sell the
Honda and get a smaller, lower, lighter bike.  I am 5'7", 30 inch inseam,
155 pounds, wife is lighter but about the same height.

My new bike will be used primarily for day trips or less on two lane
highways, both one and two up, but it will also serve on relatively short
tours, one and two up.  I use it a lot for running errands and therefore
like having hard bags, which are also handy when one travels, especially
with one's wife or SO.

My current list of potential new bike includes, in increasing displacement:

1. Kawasaki 650
2. Triumph Bonneville 800
3. Legend TT (a 1999 available, probably at a healthy discount) or a
Thunderbird
4. Triumph Sprint SR(used), or a recent triumph Sprint ST.

This list contains the bikes it does in part because my local and very good
Honda dealer also handles Kawasaki and Triumph.  My dealer is also a very
good mechanic;  also, he and his wife have ridden Triumphs.

I have done a lot of research on the net and read a lot of reviews of the
bikes I am considering.  I am also trying to get info by addressing interest
lists such as the current one.  In the past, I have given and got a lot of
information from such lists.

Before getting to my questions, let me say that I have not yet ridden a
Sprint ST or RS, but I have ridden the 1993 Triumph Sprint in 1994  and
really liked it.  I would have bought it, if my arms had been a little
longer -  the reach seemed too much (also, Triumph was new at the time and I
didn't want to take the risk at the time).

My questions are:

1.  how much of a PITA is it to change the rear shock preload on the ST?
Since I ride both one and two up, I generally do that fairly frequently.
Early reports on Triumphs said you needed the dealer or a drift and hammer.
Is that correct?

2.  how comfortable is the ST for a pillion who is a fit 5'7"? Does the tail
trunk affect passenger comfort?  Is the RS significantly less comfortable
for passenger?  How about leg room on either bike?  How about the rear
seating area of the saddle?

3.  Is there enough leg room for the rider on the ST or RS for longer
trips.?

4.  How manageable do you find the ST to be in town, in parking lots etc.  ?

5.  Are there any common problems with the bike? or any changes which are
made by most riders to make the bike more useable?  (e.g. on the Honda ST
1100, most people, including myself, get a better/taller windshield and move
their handle bars back and up).

6.  Is there a way to raise and bring back the bars on the ST?  Just sitting
on it, there seems to be a fair reach, something that would probably affect
short people like me more.

7.  Any reliability concerns?

8.  If any listers have ridden any of the other bikes I am considering,
please tell me how they compare with the Sprint ST?

TIA for all the informed opinions I am sure to get.

I will contribute to the list if I have anything to say.

Manuel Helzel
2000 ST1100 A, Sultry Tango, STOC 1289
Penetanguishene, Ont. Canada