Re: [ST] Garmin eTrex Vista and USB cable

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott" <98-VFR800@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "VFR Digest list" <vfr-digest@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "Post to ST list" <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 7:39 AM
Subject: [ST] Garmin eTrex Vista and USB cable

> Howdy,
>
> I am looking at getting the Garmin eTrex Vista GPS unit. Does
> anyone know of a USB cable that will work with this unit for connecting
> to my PC? All I seem to be able to find is the serial RS-232 9 pin
> cable. From what I have read, the serial is REAL slow. I did find an
> adapter that converts from serial to USB for a mere $37!! Any info
> would really be appreciated.  Thanks.

I have only the eMap. To speed up download times (of maps, for instance) it is necessary to have a memory adapter for the garmin memory. Then you can connect to USB.
The Vista has internal memory and - AFAIK - only a RS232 interface. So you wouldn't speed up anything connecting it via an USB-converter.
On the eMap you could speed up the interface speed to 115k - this will load a 64MB Memory in about 12 minutes. Vista = 24 MB = 5 minutes.

If you will get a new GPS look at the GPSmap 176 - it has external memory chips up to 128MB, is waterproof (IP77 - means you can put in into the water), has a large display (optional color) and the price is ok. If you can live with IP22 (only "rainproof") take the eMap (external memory chip too). I have the eMap on my ST and it works ok.

best regards

Enrico
- --
'00 ST 'BlueBelle'