Re: [ST] new list member introduction and questions

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Manuel Helzel" <mhelzel@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Before getting to my questions, let me say that I have not yet ridden a
> Sprint ST or RS, but I have ridden the 1993 Triumph Sprint in 1994  and
> really liked it.  I would have bought it, if my arms had been a little
> longer -  the reach seemed too much (also, Triumph was new at the time and
> didn't want to take the risk at the time).
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1.  how much of a PITA is it to change the rear shock preload on the ST?
> Since I ride both one and two up, I generally do that fairly frequently.
> Early reports on Triumphs said you needed the dealer or a drift and
hammer.
> Is that correct?

Not correct. Screwdriver, through a hole punched in the side frame.

> 2.  how comfortable is the ST for a pillion who is a fit 5'7"? Does the
tail
> trunk affect passenger comfort?  Is the RS significantly less comfortable
> for passenger?  How about leg room on either bike?  How about the rear
> seating area of the saddle?

The topcase makes a great backrest. Order the backrest pad along with the
case. You'll want the topcase right off. There is not helmet storage without
it. Not a single usable hook under the seat...

I don't know about the RS, and have no first hand experience on the pillion.
No complaints from my youngster, though, who now gets squirmy at 150 miles
instead of the 80 miles that was his previous maximum.

> 3.  Is there enough leg room for the rider on the ST or RS for longer
> trips.?

No problems; 32" inseam here. My heels rest comfortably on the edge of the
scuff guard behind the pegs. I sometimes feel it in my ankles toward the end
of a long day. I give them a break by putting the heel or arch on the peg.
No biggee.

> 4.  How manageable do you find the ST to be in town, in parking lots etc.
?

The lean forward posture makes slow speeds a bit less comfortable than on
more upright bikes. Counterbalancing outside on slow turns is more difficult
and less effective. Sitting more upright for the occasion makes for an
uncomfortable reach with the bar turned to full lock. The very tall first
gear, and resulting higher speed at idle, compounds the problem. No problems
with lugging or stalling; you just need to slip the clutch and ride the rear
brake around.

I'm flatfoot on both sides sitting in the saddle, but just barely. Your 2"
deficit will definitely make it difficult to paddle backwards.

In the slow stuff, usable torque is available from 2000 rpm. I short shift
at 2500, which equates to 40 mph in 6th. Ultra smooth gearbox; silky power
delivery. Very nice slow speed manners, until it gets too slow; idle in
first is a brisk jog speed.

> 5.  Are there any common problems with the bike? or any changes which are
> made by most riders to make the bike more useable?  (e.g. on the Honda ST
> 1100, most people, including myself, get a better/taller windshield and
move
> their handle bars back and up).

The fuel pressure regulator buzz at low temps is especially annoying.

A minor gripe is that the clutch lever, rotated to the the ideal angle,
flashes the passing light at full throw. I had to compromise a little to
allow for that.

See the accessories page at TriumphNet. The link is at the bottom of all
posts.

> 6.  Is there a way to raise and bring back the bars on the ST?  Just
sitting
> on it, there seems to be a fair reach, something that would probably
affect
> short people like me more.

GenMar risers get talked about quite a bit. I'm toying with replacing the
clip ons with bars from a Trophy. I like having a bar to mount electronics
on, but not sure yet that I want to compromise the sportie side. Bringing
the bar rearward without raising them would work better for me.

> 7.  Any reliability concerns?
>
> 8.  If any listers have ridden any of the other bikes I am considering,
> please tell me how they compare with the Sprint ST?

Sorry, not familiar with any of them. I will say that the Bandit ergonomics
fit me the best on long rides. The Sprint ST has it beat in every other
regard, including seat comfort and, especially, vibration levels. After 2000
miles, I'm still adapting to the much more severe posture. I'm 5'10, 31"
sleeves. Figure the cost of bar mods into the initial cost of the bike.

Take the test ride. I can't think of a better bike for touring duty. Engine
revs are 5000 at 80 mph, right at the bottom of its *really* happy torque
range. The apparent engine speed for the triple is much lower compared to an
inline four's. Top gear roll-on for passing is simply amazing.