From: "Alderman, John E" <John.Alderman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <mhelzel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:57 AM
Subject: One More Thing About the Triumph

Manuel,

I thought I would throw in my 2 cents before you made a final decision.  I
have a 2000 RS which I bought used about a year ago.  (The RS does have ST
bars on it which bring me a little more upright.)  Before that I had a BMW
F650 and a long line of other bikes before that.  The RS is MUCH more stable
at low speeds than the more upright F650 and just as stable as any other
standard in my memory.  It has a very solid feel to it.  I cant say much
about passenger comfort, but the man I bought the RS from carried his
teenage daughter around on it quite a bit.  She looked to me to be around 5'
6" or so.  She had no problem with comfort and was heartbroken when her dad
sold the bike to me.

One more thing about comfort.  I was worried about that when I bought the
RS.  It is my first sport bike in 30 years of riding.  The lean forward
position is hard on the hand/wrist until you get used to it, however I ran
into a huge unexpected plus.  After an hour or two on a standard style bike
such as the F650 my lower back begins to hurt.  I rode the RS from Alabama
to Michigan last summer with never a twinge out of my back.  Cant say the
same for my butt, but the RS does not have a touring seat.

If I was looking for a bike for mostly short trips and only the occasional
tour I would take a serious look at the RS.  Why pay for all that fairing if
you don't really need it.  You can get soft luggage for the RS and it worked
just fine for me last summer.

Regards,

John