[ST] did this guy deserve to wreck?

Ok, this is non-ST content, but it is Triumph content
and pertains to the Speed Triple.

I know a guy who just trashed his leg and his brand
new Speed Triple.

Now, this guy is not a big guy.  Without
judging/criticizing his riding ability (I've only
ridden with him a few times), I'd say the S3 is a
pretty big bike for this guy, just based on his
physical size, not his skill level.

Here's his claim:
He had ridden his bike to work and let it sit in the
sun all day.  While it's been hot in Ohio this summer,
I know the folks in the southern parts of the US have
got us beat, so I'm counting on you to help me make up
my mind.

He claims that when he was leaving work (not sure if
he was taking lunch or leaving for the day) that his
grips were so tacky from sitting in the sun that he
couldnt take his fingers off the grips to grab the
brake, and that this tackiness caused the throttle to
stick open.  I would call this more than 'tacky', I
think I'd go straight to crazy-glue sticky.

Personally, I think he was attempting burnouts and/or
something similar and the bike got away from him.  I
say this because I ride my Sprint to work almost every
day, it sits in the sun and my grips have never been
tacky, nor have I heard of such things happening.

He claims there were no witnesses, which seems odd to
me if he was in his employers parking lot near/during
regular business hours.

Anyone else out there have tacky grips?