Re: [ST] did this guy deserve to wreck?

>>> bensnyder@xxxxxxxxx 08/05/02 06:44AM >>>
He claims that when he was leaving work (not sure if
he was taking lunch or leaving for the day) that his
grips were so tacky from sitting in the sun that he
couldnt take his fingers off the grips to grab the
brake, and that this tackiness caused the throttle to
stick open.  I would call this more than 'tacky', I
think I'd go straight to crazy-glue sticky.

First off, I live in San Antonio.  I also ride to work, where my bike sits for 4 hours at a time in the sun.  Grips have never gotten sticky.  But I think I can shed some light here cause if anyone know anything about dropping a Triumph it's me.  I've done it more times than I care to admit.  I will hazard a guess that he was leaving the parking lot in a bit of a hurry (natural tendency on a Speed Triple) and someone pulled out in front of him or something happened that caused him to do a panic stop.  I've done this twice, and to this day still say it was my fault.  He nailed his front brake but did not grab the clutch.  On a Triumph, between the torquey engine and the  magnificent brakes,  if you don't grab the clutch at the same time as the brakes, you are going to start an argument between the front wheel and rear wheel.  One that ends with you and the bike on the ground, hurting.

My riding skills are pretty good, it's my panic stopping skills that suck.  I've had blowouts at 70mph and kept the bike upright, I hit oil puddles that I was pretty sure were going to put me on the asphalt but didn't.   So I'm not one to point the figure of blame where it doesn't belong.  This sounds to me  like I kid I met last summer.  Thought he knew how to ride cause he'd ridden a dirtbike a few times.   Bought a R6, 30 minutes after leaving the bike shop,  he had looped it at an intersection, cause he didn't know how to stop a wheelie by using the clutch and tried to blame the accident on the bike.