[ST] Eastern Rallye crash report

Yes, it was me this time.  I'm offering this report to the list in hopes
that others will learn from my experience.

My plan was to ride the Friday route with two riders I met the day before.
We even had a conversation about not waiting for me if I trailed behind.
Strangely, I forgot about this part of the plan the minute we hit the roads.
We took off at a brisk pace, and approached a slow-moving car, which my two
partners quickly passed.  My attention was focused on catching up with my
group.  As I was looking for a passing opportunity I was folllowing the car
too close for comfort.  Next thing I realize, the car had slowed
dramatically and was making a right-hand turn.  I grabbed the brake hard,
then in an instant the ST slid out from under me.

Injuries sustained:  Dislocated left shoulder.  Scraped left knee.  Bruised
left leg.  Thankfully, no head impact.  Helmet was not even scratched.

Damage to bike:  Having slid about 30 feet on its left side, it's pretty
messed up.

Lessons in a nutshell:
  1. Ride your own ride.  The pace was too fast for me.
  2. Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
  3. Be rested.  The day before I had ridden 11 hours.  And on Friday
morning I woke up at 5 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep.  So I was
probably fatigued.

By the way, I was disappointed with my Draggin' Jeans.  The abrasions on my
left knee are not insignificant.  I expected better protection.  The
material didn't tear so at least I didn't have direct skin-to-pavement
contact.  I wish I had been wearing my Aerostich Darien pants, with armor
pads in the knees.

Last but not least, my heartfelt thanks to my TSRA buddies who came to my
rescue and who gave me so much moral support.  There seemed to be a cast of
thousands helping out by the roadside.  A few in particular deserve special
mention.  Greg Gagliano, Lisa and Richard White, Steven Kohlscheen, John and
Chris Wescott: Thank you.

- - Pete Berg
  Royal Oak, Michigan
  "Detroit Dawg"