[ST] Offside usage (Non ST but m/c in general)

I have recently been having a thorough debate with a police m/c instructor
about crossing the centre line to enhance SSV (Safety, Stability, View).

This was prompted by his donation to me of Dave Jones' book "Not The Blue Book"
ISBN 0 9529747 0 3 (a reference, of course to "Motorcycle Roadcraft")

In this book, which IMHO is excellent, there was one contentious issue - that
of crossing the centre white (yellow in the USA?) line when progressing through
a series of bends.  Dave Jones declares that "I campaign for riders to
straighten within their correct side of the road."  He lists his reasons
rationally and succinctly.

It transpires that the IAM and RoSPA and the DSA (UK's Institute of Advanced
Motorists, Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, Driving Standards
Authority [govnt. body]) have also discussed this issue (in concert it would
seem) and said "Other than for overtaking (or turning across the carriageway),
the practice of crossing the centre line is not approved, indeed it is frowned
upon"

Not all official bodies in the UK are in agreement, namely there are a couple
of dissenters in the form of at least two police motorcycle training schools.

I would be interested in the grass roots opinion of riders here in order to
gauge what sort of percentage would contemplate crossing the centre line to
make progress and under what circumstances and/or their feelings on this issue.

Thanks.

- --
Mike Bostock
http://www.toothfairy.co.uk/