Re: [ST] Offside usage (Non ST but m/c in general)

Just to make sure I understand, you're talking about crossing into lanes
that are used by oncoming traffic, right?

> In this book, which IMHO is excellent, there was one contentious issue - that
> of crossing the centre white (yellow in the USA?) line when progressing through
> a series of bends.  Dave Jones declares that "I campaign for riders to
> straighten within their correct side of the road."  He lists his reasons
> rationally and succinctly.

'within their correct side of the road' sounds to me like he's talking
about staying in the lane(s) for your direction of travel (right side
here in the states, wrong - er, left 8^}) side over there). If I'm
reading that right, well, sure, as long as there isn't anybody in the
other lanes who might take me out (or who I might take out, if it's
another two wheel traveller). Although I tend to be pretty anal about
'mirror check, head check, signal, change' when I go from one lane to
another.

> It transpires that the IAM and RoSPA and the DSA (UK's Institute of Advanced
> Motorists, Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, Driving Standards
> Authority [govnt. body]) have also discussed this issue (in concert it would
> seem) and said "Other than for overtaking (or turning across the carriageway),
> the practice of crossing the centre line is not approved, indeed it is frowned
> upon"

Especially on a curve! (well, a blind curve, which most of the fun ones
seem to be). Fun roads where I right, every curve is a game of "get in
front of grandma, where's the gravel, gee I hope there isn't a farm
implement on the other side of this curve". If I can see around the
curve and there isn't anything comming (or a cop following), I will
cross over. I tend to obey laws if and when they make sense.

my half-penny worth,
danch ('01 BRG)