RE: [ST] Crossing over

On Saturday, August 17, 2002 11:11 PM, David Edmondson posted...

> Nice steady line round Ramsey hairpin.

Thanks! The trick at Ramsey hairpin is that actually you can see right
through that little copse in the middle of the hairpin, so I didn't need to
compromise my line for the view, I just needed to turn my head far enough!
In fact, there's a footpath that leads up into that copse, and it's quite a
cool place to go and spectate during races!

>It reminds me of a vid of Steve Hislop doing a TT lap with a voice over
>which gets back to the origin of this thread, crossing the centre to
>improve line. At various points on the circuit he says things like "the
>next three corners can be taken as one if you know the right line" while
>the white lines veer from side to side below him. And yes I know that's an
>experienced rider on a closed road.

I always thought that 122mph average Hislop on-bike lap was the scariest bit
of on-bike motorcycle video I had ever seen, with the possible exception of
the 'Black Prince' periphique vid. And then I saw David Jeffries 125mph lap
from practice this year on video, on his mostly bog-stock GSXR-1000
production class bike.  It's up on the web somewhere, and well worth a look.
The man redefines insane...

But no, the lines the racers take when the roads are closed and the lines
that road riders should take bear no relationship to each other at all!

Ken Haylock
http://www.cix.co.uk/~kwh