Re: [ST] Finally got my ST in my garage.

Hello Chuck,

> often on starts (when warm) the startup sequence from the computer
> appears confused, the bike starts at around 2.5 - 3k rpm, this seems odd
> to me, but this is my first FI bike.  should a warm startup (i.e. gas
> fill) start the bike at idle or high off idle?

Compared to my 2000 ST this is high. I don't exceed 2000 rpm
on starts - cold or hot.

> running rich.  I think I have tune 13 (or 17 ... memory is failing), but
> it was the latest tune as of march 02.  on/off gas transitions yield
> popping in the can (I have the race can).  sounds like a richly jetted
> race bike, and will backfire if one ham fists the on/off transition.
> mileage was consistently high 40s to low 50s (mpg), except when faced
> with long runs into 30+ mph head / quartering winds where mileage was
> high 30s (at 70 +/- mph indicated).  Me thinks that it couldn't have
> been that rich (yeah yeah, I am being lazy and haven't pulled a plug to
> inspect color).   The bike also ran flawlessly over four 7 000+ foot
> passes.  Until I pull the plugs, or dyno the bike, I won't know..  Why
> did I write this before putting the bike on a dyno??  hmmmmm...  PTSD
> (post trip stress decompression)???

Tune 13 is the latest. You're probably running lean. They
all run lean, especially in the lower rpm range. If you have
an after market silencer and performance tune then the bike
will be richer than stock, but compared to optimum, it could
still use a little more fuel. I have the Triumph CF silencer
and #13 performance tune and also run a Techclusion adjuster
that allows me to adjust the mixture. I still get 42 to 47
mpg and the driveability and throttle response is far better.

> harsh front end.  I am a "lighter" rider.  155 lbs with gear.  2-up the
> front end was perfect (albeit soft for agressive sport riding), but solo
> the bike feels very harsh (harsher than my race bikes) in city (SF) esp.
>  when riding solo.  Currently 3 lines of front end preload showing.  I
> will investigate this more.  It should be fun.  Emulators might be in
> the offing.

Emulators + springs are definitely the way to go. I wasn't
happy with my setup until I changed. I'm not real happy with
the shock either. The spring is close enough, but not enough
compression damping.

> Cross winds, OY!  I thought that the Yamaha TDM was one of the meanest
> sails out there when it came to cross winds.  I encountered cross winds
> which required large amounts of correction and lean angle to keep in my
> lane.  Granted I was running with all three bags loaded...  I don't
> recall a thread about wind.  It was pretty rough, expecially 2-up.  I
> was following some cruisers down US 93 in idaho, and they were unphased
> by the wind.  hrmmmm

Cross winds are a problem. Not much you can do. Get used to it.

> definately need new rubber now.  the rear is squared off quite badly.

I'm running Dunlops - 207 front and 205 rear. The handling
is great.  Can't say much about the mileage yet.

John H. Seltzer
2906 Alvarado Drive
Bellingham, WA 98229
360-647-7702